Buckwheat porridge with dried figs [6m+]
without the figs it is suitable for [4m+] Remember to always consult your doctor or pediatrician for when to introduce solid foods.
A great breakfast idea and alternative for oatmeal porridge. A great substitute for grains for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens.
-2-3 dried figs
-1/2 cup of buckwheat
-3-4 cups of water depending on how thick you want the porridge
-3-4 baby formula or as desired.
– Plant based fat
Actually you don’t need to buy buckwheat organic because it grows so quickly that it does not usually require a lot of pesticides or other chemicals to grow well. But even so I did.
1. Take a small saucepan and add the wheat and water leaving it to boil. Stir.
2. Add the figs and keep stirring till you reach the desired consistency.
3. Add formula and fat and blend with a hand blender the whole mixture. For small babies make sure you blend the figs well so that there’s no lumps left.
4. For 8m+ babies sprinkle a little cinnamon to add flavor.
10 Health Benefits:
1. Best source of high-quality, easily digestible proteins. This makes it an excellent meat substitute.
High protein buckwheat flour is being studied for possible use in foods to reduce plasma cholesterol, body fat, and cholesterol gallstones.
2. Fat alternative. Buckwheat starch can also act as a fat alternative in processed foods.
3. The high level of rutin is extracted from the leaves for medicine to treat high blood pressure.
4. Non allergenic. Buckwheat hulls are used as pillow stuffing for those allergic to feathers, dust, and pollen.
5. May help diabetes.
6. Great for the digestion.
“The properties of buckwheat are: Neutral thermal nature; sweet flavor; cleans and strengthens the intestines and improves appetite. Is effective for treating dysentery and chronic diarrhea.” According to Paul Pitchford in Healing with Whole Foods
7. Chemical free
8. Buckwheat is good at drawing out retained water and excess fluid from swollen areas of the body.
9. Buckwheat is a warming food.
It is classified by macrobiotics as a yang food. It is great for eating in the cold winter months.
10. Buckwheat contains no gluten and is not a grain