Chili Con Carne
Chili con carne with cornbread
It’s the best chili con carne I’ve ever made!
-4 tsp olive oil
-1 big onion
– 1 red pepper
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled
– 4 tsp paprika
– 2 tsp ground cumin
– 500g lean minced beef
– 1 beef stock cube
– 400g can chopped tomatoes
– 1 tsp sugar
– 400g can red kidney beans
1. Use a medium sized or big sauce pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and leave it for 1-2 minutes until hot
2. Add the onions sauté, until the onions are soft, add garlic, red pepper, paprika and ground cumin. Stir and leave it to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Brown the minced beef. Turn the heat up a bit, and break it up with your spoon. The mix should sizzle a bit when you add the meat. Make sure you keep the heat hot enough for the meat to fry rather than just stew.
4. Crumble 1 beef stock cube into 300ml hot water or use homemade stock for a healthier choice. Pour this into the pan.
add the tomato. Tip in 1 tsp sugar, and add (salt for 12m+) and pepper.
5. put the lid on the pan. Turn down the heat until it is gently bubbling and leave it for 20 minutes. Make sure the sauce doesn’t dry out. The sauce mince mixture should look thick, moist. Add tomato purée if you want a thicker consistency. I didn’t.
6. Add the beans. Bring it all to boil again, and gently bubble without the lid for another 10 minutes. Season.
7. turn off the heat and leave it for 10 minutes before serving. I took my son’s portion of the meal and added chili to the pot afterwards.
I took the original recipe from the web and adjusted it so it could be more kid friendly.